When It Comes To Hiring, Time Is Your Enemy
It’s not breaking news that hiring top talent is a hard process that all too often becomes a long process. While this can be frustrating for everyone involved, time is essential to making the right hire. But there is more to this story than meets the eye.
We all want to make the right hire, the best hire. But in today’s market, the top talent in packaging won’t wait. If you hesitate, you may lose out. All your hard work, the culling of candidates to find a gem, is wasted. And when it matters most!
You’ve lost momentum. The candidate disappears. And there you are, back to Recruiting Square One. Top talent, once eager, walked away. Or even worse, was lured elsewhere. You couldn’t make-up your mind but a competitor could. They win. You lose. Now what?
Learn from it. We know it’s frustrating, especially after identifying top talent, but somehow you just couldn’t quite pull the trigger. It’s critical to understand what happened and why – and adjust – so next time you don’t lose, you win.
- 57% of candidates are frustrated most by the long wait after the interview.
- 23% of candidates lose interest in you within one week.
- 46% lose interest in 1-2 weeks. See the trend?
- 18% decide it’s better to stay where they are.
- 32% will question your organization’s decision-making skills if the offer takes too long.
For nearly half a century, Chase & Associates has helped our clients acquire top talent, even in tight candidate markets like today. Our expertise as an executive search firm in the packaging industry stretches almost fifty years.
Executive Recruiting In Packaging: (6) Best Practices
Our success isn’t mysterious. Hard work. Common sense. A proactive, sooner-rather-than-later approach. Here are six proven executive recruiting tips to help you find the best and brightest talent:
- Regular Ongoing Communication: Don’t let candidates fall through the cracks. Check-in and update them, never forget them.
- Recognize Their Talent and Show It: Make them feel important, valued and remind them why your offer is worth waiting for.
- Feature Honesty and Transparency: They deserve the truth, you can’t build trust without it and they know if they don’t get it.
- Place a Premium on Relationships: It sets your organization apart, and in a finite space like packaging, it’s a critical hiring edge.
- Demonstrate Your Company’s Value: Candidates are looking for a truly great fit, not just a paycheck. Sell the company, not just a job.
- Speak to a Candidate’s Concerns: Ask the right questions to understand not only their desires, but also their hopes and fears.
Packaging industry candidates may have their pick of opportunities today but that doesn’t change your mission. Your desire to recruit and bring on board the very best talent is the top priority. We get that. Every hire has its risk, but you have to strike while the fire is hot! There is no way around this simple truth.
Keep them informed. Updated. And keep them feeling valued and respected. Present the position as an opportunity with a truly great company in the packaging industry. The kind of company that prioritizes relationships. You’re not just another job offer. You’re something more. There is no time to waste.
Seriously. There is no time to waste.
Together- We Succeed!
Chase & Associates
Looking for top tier talent? Ready to make a career change? Click the "Let's Connect" button to talk to one of our executive recruiters. Did this blog post hit home? Please click the share button. Your support is greatly appreciated!